5. Close unnecessary software and restart Windows
- Press the Win key + the R key combination to open the Run window.
- Type msconfig in the Run window and click OK. This opens the system configuration window in the snapshot below.
- Select the radio button for selective start.
- Deactivate the loading of start objects.
- On the General tab, select Load system services and use the settings for initial startup.
- On the Services tab, choose Hide all Microsoft services.
- Click Apply and OK and restart Windows.
- Open Steam and start the game.
Pay attention: Software conflicts with Steam can prevent the launch of games. So, before you start the game, close your antivirus, VPN, web server applications, third-party firewalls and other unnecessary programs.
This can usually be done through Task Manager or by right-clicking on the icons in the software taskbar and selecting Close or Exit. You can follow the above steps to clean a bootable Windows.
Windows 10 won’t start? Read our guide to solve the problem as soon as possible!
6. Remove ClientRegistry.blob
- Press Exit in the Spray menu to completely close the Spray when open.
- Open the Run window by pressing Win + R.
- Enter the path to the Steam folder and click OK.
- Now right-click on the ClientRegistry.blob file in your Steam folder and select Delete.
Pay attention: Games cannot start if Steam’s ClientRegistry.blob file is corrupted. Deleting a corrupted ClientRegistrty.blob file is therefore another possible solution for Steam games that stop immediately at startup.
Note that if you delete this file, you will also lose your local steam settings.
7. Graphics card driver update
This problem can be caused by a corrupt or outdated graphics card driver. Updating the video card driver is a common solution for fixing crashes in Windows games.
You can manually update the driver by opening the Device Manager, right-clicking and selecting Update Driver. You can also download it from the manufacturer’s website and then install it.
A more efficient way to keep all your drivers, including the video card driver, up to date is to use software that does this automatically.
DriverFix is an excellent tool for updating drivers. You can learn more about this tool and how to use it in our comprehensive DriverFix guide.
Update all your drivers, including your graphics card, with one of the best update tools.
One or more of these patches may get your Steam games going again. If you have any questions about the resolutions, or perhaps even corrections on your part, please email them below.
Still having problems?
Repair them with this tool:
- Download this PC recovery tool excellent on TrustPilot.com (can be downloaded from this page).
- Click on the Start Scanning button to scan for Windows issues that may be causing problems with the PC.
- Click Restore All to fix issues related to proprietary technologies (exclusive discount for our readers).
Restoro was downloaded by 0 players this month.
Editor’s comment : This article was originally published in January 2018 and was revised and updated in January 2021 to be current, accurate and complete.
game opens and closes immediately windows 10, steam games crashing on startup, steam games won’t launch windows 10, games won’t launch on my pc, steam games not launching, steam games crash after few minutes, steam game won’t launch, steam keeps closing itself 2019